Featured Recipe: Basic Curry Sauce
In an effort to promote the health benefits of turmeric, we would love to share the recipe that was featured at a recent J. Arthur’s Memory Cafe meeting. Enjoy!
Basic Curry Sauce with Chicken, Beef or Turkey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 pounds cooked diced chicken or beef, or ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
Sauté the oil, onion and garlic in a heavy, deep skillet or kettle for 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Blend lemon juice, curry powder and turmeric in a small bowl, then stir it into sautéed onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add cooked chicken or beef and stir fry briefly to coat with spices. Add tomato sauce, salt, broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over sautéed or steamed vegetables or rice.